Nowadays more people prefer to socialize online rather than face to face. Is this a positive or negative development?
Band 9 essay sample
People are glued to their cellphones and tablets. They are constantly updating their status on social networks and checking out the photos and videos uploaded by their virtual friends. In fact, most of us now have more friends online than in the real world. In my opinion, this is a negative development that can have far reaching consequences.
Excessive online socialization can lead to depression, isolation and behavioural problems. The internet is a great platform to share views and opinions, but it also fuels unhealthy competition among people. Studies have shown that people develop an inferiority complex when their friends get more comments or likes than them.
Social media has many negative sides. There is no guarantee that the people we meet online are actually real. Many of them create fake profiles with the objective of cheating naïve users. There have been several instances of teenagers committing suicide after they got cheated by their online friends. Most people who are addicted to online socialisation have hardly any time for talking to their family members or neighbours. This affects family relationships. Also, it can cause the individual to become isolated from his community.
Face to face communications, on the other hand, lead to the development of trustworthy relationships that last long. Meeting a friend or a dear one over a coffee or in a park is always a memorable experience. Social media friendships lack that warmth. Also, we cannot expect our online friends living in another part of the globe to help us when we are in trouble.
To conclude, it is not hard to see that excessive online socialization is bad. It affects our relationships. It is true that the internet has enriched our lives in many ways, but if we are addicted to it, we will develop many problems. After all, the virtual world cannot replace the real world; neither can virtual friends the real ones.
- IELTS model essay: Are social skills more important than academic skills?
- Should media write about the private lives of celebrities | IELTS essay
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Young people are getting more infleuenced by their friends
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: The increasing use of computers and smartphones have affected people’s writing skills
- Band 9 Essay Samples | Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Shopping
- IELTS Essay: What effects do traveling parents have on their children?
- Band 9 essay sample: Online learning is better than classroom learning. Do you agree?
- Band 9 essay sample: Children should spend more time outdoor playing games
- Band 6.5 essay samples: Online shopping has become more popular than in-store shopping
- Band 8 essay sample: The internet should be controlled
World Youth Essay Competition 2018 – Win cash prizes and a trip to Germany!
Deadline: March 31, 2018
The World Youth Essay Competition is an international essay competition for high school and university students. There is no topic restriction and participants are free to write about topics such as aspects of society, environmental issues, science and technology, global affairs, and more.
The overall best submission receives the WYEC Grand Prize 2018 of 1700 USD. The exceptional student that receives the WYEC Grand Prize will be invited to Germany for a special winner ceremony with all flight and accommodation expenses covered! In Germany, you will meet with current international leaders and professionals. All flight and accommodation expenses will be covered!
The WYEC 2018 gives you the unique opportunity to write about a subject that interests, motivates and inspires you the most! There is no topic restriction and you are free to write about topics such as:
- aspects of society
- environmental issues
- science and technology
- global affairs
- and more
Prizes and Awards
The jury receives many outstanding submissions from all around the world. The WYEC awards honor a variety of excellent essays from exceptional youths and students.
- WYEC Grand Prize 2018: The overall best submission receives the WYEC Grand Prize 2018 of 1700 USD. The exceptional student that receives the WYEC Grand Prize will be invited to Germany for a special winner ceremony with all flight and accommodation expenses covered! In Germany, you will meet with current international leaders and professionals.
- WYEC 2. Prize and 3. Prize: The second and third best submissions receive the WYEC 2. prize and 3. prize of 2018. The award honors your extraordinary writing style and your creative mind. The 2. Prize and 3. Prize Winners will also be featured in one of the world’s most notable youth journals: You will be interviewed by journalists towards your motivation to inspire other youths around the world!
- 10x Award of Excellence:The jury selects ten submissions for exceptional creativity, knowledge or language skills. You will receive the WYEC Award of Excellence to obtain encouragement and honor for your future achievements and professional career.
- All Finalists: All finalists will receive a special WYEC finalists certificate with honorable jury notes.
- All Participants: All participants will receive a WYEC 2018 participation certificate.
- All high school and university students can participate in the WYEC 2018 international essay competition.
- The WYEC 2018 is open to students from all countries! However, you have to be between 12 and 26 years old to participate.
- Because WYEC 2018 wants to encourage students from certain countries, the jury gives special attention to submission from these countries: Nepal, India, Germany, Thailand, Gambia, Philippines, Kenya, Bangladesh, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Liberia, Zambia, Indonesia, Morocco, France, Brazil. If you are from one of these countries, you have a great chance to become a finalist and we highly encourage you to participate in WYEC 2018!
- The essay has to be between one to eight pages in the English language.
- The essay has to be in the English language.
- You can also use pictures and graphics in your essay to visualize your words.
- Please submit your essay as PDF file (preferred).
The WYEC 2018 jury judges each essay individually based on various criteria which may include creativity, writing style, knowledge skills and more. The WYEC 2018 Finalists will answer three short questions towards personality and achievements: The jury selects the winners based on your essay and your personality!
WYEC 2018 | Submit Your Essay
For more information, visit World Youth Essay Competition.