“Sepak” is the Malay word for kick and “takraw” is the Thai word for a woven ball, therefore sepak takraw to kick ball. The name was given for the sport after an agreement between Malaysia and Thailand, the two major forces of the sport. Variations of this were played in other Southeast Asian countries too; in Thailand it was called "Takraw", in the Philippines, "Sepa Sepa", in Myanmar, "Ching Loong", in Indonesia, "Rago" and in Laos, "Kator".
Earliest historical evidence shows that the game was played in the 15th century’s Malacca Sultanate. The Malay Annals described in the incident of Raja Muhammad, son of Sultan Mansur Shah who was accidentally hit with a rattan ball by Tun Besar, son of Tun Perak, in a sepak raga game.
In Bangkok, murals at Wat Phra Kaeo, which was built in 1785, depict the Hindu god Hanuman playing sepak takraw in a ring with a troop of monkeys.At first, the game remained in its circle form and the players played keepie-uppies unlike the format now that is almost similar with Volleyball.
The modern version of sepak takraw is competitive and took shape in Thailand almost 200 years ago.
In 1829, the Siam Sports Association created the first rules for the game. Four years later, the association introduced the volleyball-style net and held the first public contest.
By the 1940s, the net version of the game had spread throughout Southeast Asia, and formal rules were introduced. This sport became officially known as ‘sepak takraw’.
International tournaments are now governed by ISTAF, the International Sepak Takraw Federation. The King’s Cup World Championships is held every year in Thailand and it is one of the most prestigious tournaments in the Sepak Takraw circuit.
CHARACTERISTICS OF "SEPAK RAGA"
- The Takraw ball is made of rattan stems or very hard plastic.
- A ball weighs approximately 250 grams.
|Original Rattan Ball|
|Modern Synthetic Ball|
HOW TO PLAY
- In takraw game, some players stand up and form a circle.
- The game begins with one player tossing the ball to his hand. A voice will fondle the ball with his foot once or several times, before kicking it towards other players.
- Players who form the circle or circles must take turns fondle the ball and control it from falling to the ground. If the ball is dropped, the game in the round ended.
- This game requires agility and physical efficiency and sharpness of eye to measure movement. The goal of each player is to boost the skills to take delivery of sport and fondle ball comfortably as long as possible.
- Game duration is not specified except in the competition which is usually organized as a team event. Successful teams make the most nicknames in a given period is calculated to win.
- At this time there is no longer played sepak raga, it has changed the name to sepak takraw. Sepak takraw snitch two teams separated by a net, as in badminton.
- Sepak takraw team consists of three players.Skipper to kick start and control the back court. Surround left and right to control the front of the wedge ring and take on the main task of turning off the ball in a tennis opponent.
The best festival culture on Malaysia
Malaysia is a country with a variety of races. Among the major races is Malay, Chinese and Indian. Malaysia is a country that rich in culture and custom. When we talk about celebrations, Malaysia is one of the countries that celebrate many festivals. There are some famous festivals in Malaysia which is Hari Raya Aidilfitri, Chinese New Year and Deepavali.
Hari Raya Aidilfitri is celebrated by Malaysia’s largest ethnic community which is Malaysia. Generally this festival is celebrated in honour of the month of fasting Muslims. As usually, the festival began with a Eid prayers at mosque for early in the morning. And most important, visiting each neighbour is always be do it after prayer. The aim is for the greater engagement between us. Among the main dishes to be served during Eid is like Ketupat, Ayam masak merah, Chicken or beef rendang, Lontong, Chicken Rice, satay, and so on. Children is the happiest person when this celebration come because, this is the time that they can get ‘duit raya’ from people who’s older than them. Famous clothes for hari raya is baju kurung for ladies and baju melayu with samping for men.
Next celebration is Chinese New Year. Well. This festival is celebrated by Chinese. Chinese New Year is celebrated on the first day of the Chinese Lunar Calendar and this festival is the most important annual for Chinese community. What we can see is family members came from far for gathering and is called ‘makan besar’. Also this celebration must have lion dancers and small fire works. Not just that, Chinese culture believe that red colour give them some luck and good sign for them in the future. Famous clothes for Chinese new year is Cheongsam and samfoo.
Nowadays, we always heard and read in the newspaper or magazine also in television about people and their relationship. There are some people whose success in their relationship and the other has being divorced and so on. It is because there’s no...